At Esalen, we care about being available. We bring that to everything we do. We don’t just build a table, we build a work of art that’s also a table. We don’t just say hello, we make eye contact and listen with intention. We feel the same way about our team members – showing up in support of their full being. We offer great health care, access to workshops, & the space to further our mission by contributing to your own human potential.
This role plays a key part of the Esalen Lodging Experience Team. You are an integral part of advancing Esalen’s mission by ensuring our accommodations facilitate a transformative experience for our workshop participants. You will be expected to perform a variety of duties from preparing room to cleaning our baths.
What will this role do?
- Clean and maintain community baths and bathrooms
- Support the cleaning crew during crew changes
- Work cooperatively with team and communicate kindly
- Move furniture when required
- Assist Lodging Experience Manager or supervisor in any operational need
- Equipment maintenance and inspection
- Organization and maintenance of inventory
- Assist in the training and orientation of new stewards
- Assist in maintenance projects as necessary
- Deep cleaning of lodging rooms + meeting rooms
- Window cleaning
- Hose replacements at baths
- Attend all Lodging Business Meetings
- Be a team liaison to the Office, Gate, Massage & Maintenance Departments
- Other various tasks as assigned.
- Reliable and timely attendance – this position works on-site
Qualifications + Requirements + Skills
Be able to adapt to a new work environment socially and physically. Integrate emotional work while meeting demands of a 40 hour a week work schedule.
Be available for finding better ways to communicate with others, meeting new people in work.
Be able to handle 40 hours of physical labor involving lifting, bending carrying linen stock, loading and unloading laundry van, carrying massage tables, loading and unloading industrial washing equipment.
While performing the duties of this job: the employee must be able to work in a physically demanding environment; maneuver on uneven ground; stand for long periods of time; regularly lift and carry bags and bundles up to 30 pounds; carry, push and pull vacuums; lift, bend, carry, load and unload laundry in and out of industrial washing equipment; move furniture. There is daily exposure to biodegradable chemicals.
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational & community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, & discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, & other Esalen services.
Esalen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without considering race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.